We have had an enormous amount of interest in our school this year from prospective students, and as is dictated by our charter and by Education Code § 47605(e)(2)(B), when the number of pupils who wish to attend a charter school exceeds the charter school’s capacity, attendance shall be determined by a public random drawing.
Because there are more applicants than spaces available and because there are multiple conservatories and levels within those conservatories, all 2020-2021 OCSA applicants will be placed in a public random lottery in the assigned conservatory as determined by the student’s application and placement activity, consistent with application of lawful preferences stated in our charter. This will result in multiple lotteries.
These lotteries will be held on April 3, 2020 from 11:00 AM-3:00 PM and will be live streamed on our website.
The lotteries for the individual conservatory programs will be conducted in the following timeline:
11:00AM School of Dance & School of Applied Arts
12:00PM School of Fine & Media Arts
1:00PM School of Theatre
2:00PM School of Music
The live stream for our public random lotteries can be accessed here. Prospective families are not required to watch the live stream, and all families will be notified of the results of the lotteries within ten (10) business days. This notification will also include information about how to enroll your student for the coming school year and/or how to access the waitlist. If any prospective family or student wishes to watch the live stream but does not have access to appropriate technology, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in order to request technology support.
The lottery will be held as required by law and according to OCSA’s 2020-2025 charter renewal petition, with exemption and preference given in the following order:
- Students who were previously enrolled at OCSA and are returning from an administrator-approved temporary leave of absence. (Exempt)
- Siblings of currently enrolled students or graduates of OCSA.
- Children of OCSA staff (defined as current full-time employees of OCSA at the time of lottery).
- A preference shall be extended to students who reside in the elementary attendance area where OCSA is located because OCSA is located in the attendance area of a public elementary school in which 55% or more of the pupil enrollment is eligible for free or reduced-price meals (Charter School Facility Grant Program).
- If a charter school site is physically located in the attendance area of a public elementary school in which 50% or more of the pupil enrollment is eligible for free or reduced-price meals, a preference will be given to pupils currently enrolled in that public elementary school and to pupils who reside in the attendance area of that elementary school in accordance with Education Code § 47605.3.
- Preference shall be extended to pupils who reside in the Santa Ana Unified School District except as provided for in Education Code § 47614.5.
- All other applicants.
*For preferences 4, 5, and 6, the elementary attendance areas identified are Heroes Elementary and Garfield Elementary.
The lottery will be conducted by an individual with no personal interest in the lottery. An OCSA administrator will also be present. Each applicant will be randomly assigned a number to protect the privacy of prospective students. All applicants who have completed a placement activity will be placed in the enrollment lottery.
During the lottery, once all spaces are filled for a particular conservatory, applicant numbers will continue to be drawn and placed on a waitlist in the order drawn, except if the preferences described above require otherwise. We will only draw the number of applicants for each waitlist for which we reasonably anticipate we may have space in the coming year. This waitlist will allow students the option of enrollment in the case of an opening. In no event shall a waitlist extend beyond the end of the school year for which the student applied. Mid-year offers of enrollment may be extended to applicants currently on the OCSA waitlist.
OCSA shall not discriminate on the basis of disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or any other characteristic contained in the definition of hate crimes set forth in Penal Code § 422.55, including immigration status, or association with an individual who has any of the aforementioned characteristics. (Education Code §§ 220, 47605(e)(1).) OCSA will not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, pregnancy or parental status, age, medical condition, fluency in English, parent income/education level, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Thank you again for your interest and application for enrollment at OCSA. If you have any further questions, please contact Admission Coordinator Janet Infiesto at Janet.Infiesto@ocsarts.net or call 714.560.0900 ext. 6608.
Click here to read more about Charter School Enrollment Rights.